- There are many children who live in my building. They call me waiguo ayi (foreign aunt). I love stopping to play with them on my way in or out. Although, you never know if they are going to be delighted or terrified by my waiguo white face.
- I love when I have my itunes on shuffle and random music from around the world comes on. It’s normal to listen to Himesh Reshammiyah & Ahir, right?
- I recently counted 7 men carrying pink umbrellas, just during a 15 minute walk. In this culture, colors aren’t really associated with gender the way we are used to. But I still think it’s weird.
- In the last couple weeks, something seems to have clicked in my brain and I’m speaking more of the language here… Not that I suddenly know a lot more, just that I’m more easily/naturally using what I know…
- I really want to learn to play the guitar. I think I’m going to try to do something about that in the next year. Goal.
- Speaking of goals, I have a list of random goals that has grown lately. Stay tuned.
- GEORGE came to class again today! He didn’t come last week. Today he was late. I went and talked to him and said, “George. You need to start coming to class every week, on time. You will fail if you do not.” He said, “Yes teacher. I know. I will.” This other boy, Stone, came in late with him and he was out of breath. They both were. I think Stone went to get George because he knows it upsets me when he doesn’t come. Stone is a great student and always on time.Dear Stone, Thanks for bringing George! I think you’re super and I love how hard you try even though you are the ONLY boy in your class most of the time! It takes courage. Proud of you, Shanda