Today was my brother Josh’s 17th birthday. I love him. Seriously. A lot. I told him today that the day he was born, my life got a lot better. I meant it. He brings SO much joy to my heart and I am so insanely proud to be his sister. (Just so everyone knows I’m not playing favorites, I also have some serious love for my brother Ben. Can’t imagine life without him… But since today is Josh’s birthday I am going to talk more about him. In 3 weeks, Ben will get a turn.)
I’m not a mom, in case you didn’t know that. :) But today I hung out with my cousin who became a mom about 2 months ago. She said a sentence that I just LOVED. “My heart has grown SO much since I had her.” Sigh. I hope that, someday, I will get to experience that heart growth explosion. But, I honestly think I got a bit of a taste of it when Josh was born. I’m sure it’s not quite the same, but I absolutely guarentee that this kid grew my heart.
Choosing to be away from him for the last 3.5 years has been hard. Taking a position, on the other side of the world, that will not allow me to be there to see him graduate from High School breaks my heart a little bit everytime I think about it. He understands though, maybe better than I do. That’s one of the million things I love about him.
A few other things I love about my brother Josh(Ua):
– Right now, he’s watching TV in the other room and every couple minutes I hear him laugh. :) His laugh is awesome. I want to take it with me everywhere I go.
– He is one the most selfless teenagers I have ever met.
– He is FULL of compassion for those who have less than he does, even though he is surrounded by people who have a lot MORE than he does.
– He’s been through a lot for a kid his age and, though I know it’s not always easy for him, He’s allowing God to use it to shape his heart into something awesome.
– He has great hair. :)
– He’s really good at a lot of things that not a lot of people are good at.
– He puts up with me in all of my annoying sisterness… and I think, despite the obligatory “you’re so weird and annoying” reactions, he totally loves me for (or at least despite) my annoying sisterness.
So Josh – thanks for helping me to learn more about love and thanks for understanding why I have to leave all the time. I hope you know how much I miss you when I’m gone.